Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Public Home-school?

Writing entries for this blog has taught me something. I'd rather be doing than writing. So I appeal to anyone who might pause to read this post to help me answer a feasibility question. My wife and I have been discussing opening a publicly-funded charter school organized on a home-school model. Here's the pitch:

We believe that many of the students in the middle years of schooling (grades 4-8) are not succeeding because they need a different kind of environment. Our intention is to provide the warm personal attention, hands-on activities, and flexibility of schedule that home-school parents can provide; but also adhere to the curriculum, testing, and legal requirements that govern public schools. Two certified teachers with a maximum of twenty students meeting in a leased home: in essence, a home-school surrogate for parents whose schedule or expertise prevents them from doing it themselves.

What do you think? I look forward to your comments or questions!

4 comments:

Kate A. said...

Wow, interesting! There's a big (huge) thread on Ravelry about homeschooling and I'm going to post about this there - I hope that will generate a lot of thoughtful responses!

EnnaVic said...

Interesting indeed. It would suit my 8yo son to be in a situation like that - he is not being well served in public school at the moment and I am debating homeschooling him. I'd like to, hubby not so keen and the issue doesn't arise with our younger kids whco are happy in school.

islamic educator said...

I am actually setting up a very similar educational setting here in CT. My grades are mixed, and we will do 3 days of book work, and 1 day of outside learning, ie field trips, library use, bowling or playing eduational games on site.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.